Wednesday, January 6, 2016

Creating in the Spaces Between

A couple (few?) years ago, I had this idea that I could write short pieces of music to satisfy the urge to create during this period of life I find myself in where just about every minute is crammed with responsibilities. I gave myself 15 or 20 minutes to sketch out a really basic framework, and then spent the next 30 minutes or so fleshing it out. What happened with those pieces I don't have time to write here because I'm attempting to do something similar. I am trying to create something, in this case a simple blog post, in a very short amount of time.

I'm even speaking most of these words to my phone in my car while I'm waiting to pick up my sons at school. You may see the problem with this as quickly as I do. A life full of tasks is being filled up even more, but with this creative task. Is it different? Will it make anything better? Worse?

All I know is that I want to create. An occasional music gig where I can improvise or sometimes even play my own music is not enough. In fact, doing those things increases the desire to make something more or something else. It's awful.

And that's all I get to say about that because the bell is about to ring.

No comments:

Post a Comment